Varsity Jackets Going Out of Style

Carlee Robbins, News & Opinion Journalist

The most iconic high school fashion trend is varsity jackets. What high school students wouldn’t want to show off their accomplishments by wearing them around? These jackets gained their popularity in the 1950s and continued to be fashionable for years to come. These staples of the high school experience are fading away, though. Walking through the halls, you might notice that students wear their varsity jackets less and less. This is because they are losing their popularity in the 21st century.

One reason for the decline of this trend might be the price. The typical price of a varsity jacket is anywhere from $200 to $300. This covers the cost of the initial jacket, but you additionally have to pay for anything that you want to add. This might include metals or patches that show off the students’ accomplishments more. Besides, most people with a varsity jacket do their activity for more than one year. This means that the student has to bring their jacket back where they purchased it each year to add another chevron, patch, or metal. Which adds to the cost of the jacket. The price continues to increase with the more patches that you add.

This is a lot of money for a jacket that is worn only during your high school years and only during the winter. Most people just don’t see the value in spending that much money on a jacket that you can only wear for a small amount of time. You wear it for a maxim of 4 years, only during the winter. Then, after you graduate, people think it’s odd if they see someone out of high school wearing their varsity jacket. So really, you get to wear it for a minor portion of your high school career, and then it’s pushed away.

Instead of getting a varsity jacket to showcase your accomplishments, try doing something else with your letter. Buy a frame to hang it on your wall or make a scrapbook page out of it. These options aren’t just more reasonably priced, they also allow your high school memories to live on in the same way that the varsity jacket would.