Undefeated at the net

Varsity Volleyball goes uncontested in claiming DL title

Tyler Harris, Sports Reporter

Brooke Hart goes up for the block.

The Warriors varsity volleyball team has had an astonishing season, going undefeated and showing no signs of wavering.

The team’s first major challenge was the match against Trenton. Junior Ella Thomas explains “Our biggest challenge so far was for sure Trenton. We had to prepare for their young front and their very loud student section.” Trenton was their first big match for the year and after winning the first two sets feeling pretty good, the Warriors started to ease off the gas, letting the Trojans win the next two sets to take it into a very intense 5th set for the game. The Warriors ended up pulling out the win with the score of 15-13, but the lesson was learned not to give any space for the opponent to score.

Following the win over Trenton, the team swept Southgate and prepared for Allen Park. When the team faced off against the Jaguars on October 7th, they were expecting the best competition in the league, and with the Jags being worthy opponents, the Warriors came ready to play hard. Abigail Weise led her team to a clear victory in three games, sending a signal to Gibraltar Carlson that they’d better bring it when they step onto the Warriors’ court.

Carlson brought what they had, but it wasn’t enough. The Warriors swept the Marauders 3-0 scoring 25-12, 25-13, and 25-8 with 32 kills overall, juniors Brooke Hart, Jenna Jenkins, and Julia Downey each had six kills and Weise had 11. Thomas, Lucie Douglas, and Lindsay Marlewitz had a combined nine aces.

Douglas, a junior, attributes the team’s success to chemistry. “I think our team chemistry and how we’re all working together is the best I have ever played with. These girls will put it all on the line for this team. Even though we’re losing captain Weise and senior Alayna Mulraney next year, we have the rest of the team and a couple strong sophomores coming up to compete for the spots next year. I think we have a couple very competitive years to come.”

It seems like the Woodhaven Warriors will be very competitive in the next year, too with key returning players captain Marlewitz, Thomas, Jenkins, Douglas, Downey, and Olivia Rozycki.