Saco goes to States

Joseph Sagert, Sports Reporter and Photographer

The 2021-2022 Girls Golf season was full of both accomplishments and struggles, and for sophomore Abi Saco, it was a season of success. Saco competed in D1 States on October 17, finishing top 30 out of 108 of the best golfers in the state.

Coached by Vic Bliss, the team placed 5th at Regionals, wrapping up their season with a solid performance across the board, and took 3rd in the Downriver League on their home course at Riverview Highlands.

Reflecting on the season, junior Raegan Wheaton says her favorite part of golf this year was a combination of being with the girls and getting better, receiving the encouragement from coaches, and enjoying the satisfaction of never giving up. In recognizing her teammates, Wheaton says, “Abigail Saco showed up the most during a meet because she is the best player, always helping other girls and cheering us on no matter what placement we’re in.” Saco agrees that the team dynamic is the best part of the season.

Cady Dehring says looking back on the season “the hardest challenge this year was coming back from back injury prior to the golf season—also leaving friends on the team.”

Saco says her best achievement this season was making it to states and coming in 2nd in leagues.

Next year’s season for the girls is looking great as there will be a lot of talented golfers returning to the team, as well as talent coming up as the team continues to grow.