Woodhaven XC leads the pack

Makena Burke, Production Manager

Woodhaven High School hosted their last match, Jamboree #3, at Lake Erie Metropark on Thursday, October 21. With a first-place rank in the Downriver League, it’s no wonder why the runners always come out on top in both JV and Varsity boys and girls cross country meets.  

As for the Varsity girls team in the 5000-meter race, they took first out of the competing schools with an overall score of 34 beating out Allen Park in second place with a score of 48. Each runner completed the race in under 24 minutes with Katie Dietrich in fourth with a time of 20.28, Payton Scheffler in fifth, Raelyn McLaughlin in 10th, who beat out Wyandotte Roosevelt runner, Mercedes Dziendziel by 00.05 seconds, Delaney Arthur in 16th who passed up Allen Park runner, Abbie Sawicki by a close .00.00.30 seconds, and Autumn Simms in 26th with a time of 24 minutes. 

For the boy’s Varsity team, they took first place overall with a score of 49, beating Wyandotte Roosevelt by 19 points. Justin Romero and Andrew Whitman came in fifth and sixth place with times of 18.05 and 18.08. Ben Schott came in 11th place, Jeremy Romero in 13th and Ryan Bolduc in 14th, Ethan Kaiser in 16th, and Nathan Lundgren in 23rd with a time of 19.33.

In the JV boys 5000 meter event, Liam Warner, William Widby, Jason Sax, Dominic Germano, Logan Menge, and Javier Caldwell clutched the places 1-6. The boys, as well Alessandro Felici, finished the race in under 21 minutes. 

The JV girls in the 5000-meter event all came in under 35 minutes. Cooper Roberts in third at 25.17, Jenna Kinnison in 11th, Simran Kaur in 14th, Hailee Hanmore close behind her in 15th, and Suman Khosa in 18th with a time of 34.28. They took second place overall.