Girls golf captures regional title, finish at states in historic season

The+2022+Girls+Golf+Team+is+recognized+before+the+homecoming+crowd+for+their+first+ever+regional+championship.+

Stephanie Kerns

The 2022 Girls Golf Team is recognized before the homecoming crowd for their first ever regional championship.

Jake Navarro and Donavan Illes, Sports Writer

The Warrior girls golf team placed the capstone on what is the most monumental season in Woodhaven High School girls golf history, winning the Downriver League Championship and Regionals for the first time ever, defeating Livonia Stevenson and Farmington. 

The team was led by juniors Abigail Saco and Adilynn Rushlow, who are 1st and 3rd in the league, respectively. These two had quite the rush this season as Saco shot a low of 73, and Rushlow is the first female Woodhaven golfer to make a hole in one. Junior Gabriella Randazzo held 10th in the league.

Saco, Rushlow, Randazzo, Gabrielle Stanley and Ella Pappas set another Warrior record when they competed for the state title in Battle Creek. The girls battled like warriors and ended up the 2022-2023 season in the 18th spot in the state. 

The team attributes much of their success to a healthy team dynamic. If a player is having a bad day, the squad makes sure to lift them up and accommodate for it. These girls always have their teammates back because they are genuinely friends and teammates. With the success of the 2022 season and the strong team bonds, Coach Vic Bliss’ growing golf program has a bright future ahead.