WARRIORS CRUSH BEARS IN HOMECOMING VICTORY

Junior+Gary+Pilgrim+sets+the+pace+for+the+game+with+a+____+yd+___+in+the+opening+play+of+the+game.+Pilgrim+would+go+on+to+score+___+more+TDs+in+the+first+half.+

Stephanie Kerns

Junior Gary Pilgrim sets the pace for the game with a ____ yd ___ in the opening play of the game. Pilgrim would go on to score ___ more TD’s in the first half.

D'Juan Hall, Sports Writer

Coming off an unexpected loss to the Trenton Trojans, the Woodhaven Warriors reasserted their dominance in the league when they crushed the Roosevelt Bears 49 to 7. 

At kickoff the Bears kicked the ball off to the Warriors where running back Gary Pilgrim set the pace at kick off when he ran the ball 70 yards up the field to the 2 yard line and ran it in for a TD in the next play. Kicker Nolan Smith made the first of several field goals for the night, bringing the score to 7-0. 

The Bears immediately answered with a TD of their own in the next minute of play, tying the score 7-7.

Warriors fans were extremely excited to see both teams score within the opening minute, hopeful for a competitive game, but Roosevelt could neither contain the Warrior offense or outmatch its defense in the 59 minutes that followed. 

After the Bears’ TD, Warriors star running back Devin Henry had a long run down the field, setting Pilgrim up for another touchdown, making the score 14-7. 

Moments later, the Bears attempted to throw the ball down the field but were intercepted by linebacker Jacob Cabrera, setting the stage for Henry to run it in again, bringing the score to 21-7 at only 4 minutes into the 1st quarter.

The Bears attempted another drive, but the Warriors defense forced a fumble and Pilgrim ran in his 3rd TD to bring the score to 28-7. 

But the Warriors were just getting started. 

Warriors quarterback Dom Davis threw a dot to wide receiver Ethan Czajkowski for a 38 yard touchdown pass, making the score 35-7 with 43 seconds remaining in the first quarter. 

In the second quarter, Henry brought the score to 42-7 when he rushed 26 yards up the field scoring with 6 minutes remaining until halftime. Neither team scored for the rest of the  quarter ending the 1st half 42-7.

The Warriors did not lose focus at halftime and deftly squashed any attempt by the Bears to regroup and rally. Quarterback Davis opened the 3rd quarter by running in a 25 yard TD, giving the Warriors a 42 point lead over the Bears. 

The Warriors would not score again for the remainder of the game, defeating Roosevelt 49-7 before a Homecoming crowd.

The Warriors take the field again on Friday October 21 when they take on longtime rivals Carlson Marauders at Carlson High School.