Wrestling heads into regionals Saturday determined and focused

Koen+Huepenbecker%2C+Reece+Brant%2C+and+Jake+Navarro+advance+to+regionals+in+Saline.+

Woodhaven Wrestling

Koen Huepenbecker, Reece Brant, and Jake Navarro advance to regionals in Saline.

Donavan Illes, Sports Writer

The Woodhaven Wrestling team is heading into regionals after a season full of both adversity and success. 

Woodhaven has a young squad this year, as the majority of the team is made up of underclassmen. Despite being young, the Warriors have still managed to find success with a 13-11 record, while also showing great potential throughout the season. 

Senior Jake Navarro is wrapping up his dominant high school career this year. Navarro has had a significant impact on the Woodhaven wrestling team, as he has been a nightmare for opponents ever since his freshman year. He was the first freshman in Woodhaven history to ever compete at states, was ranked 3rd overall in the state of Michigan last season, and has an overall record of 145-19. 

Navarro said, ”My mindset going into regionals is that there’s no going back. I’m in the driver seat with my foot on the gas, it’s time to finish the journey.” Navarro is entering regionals with a great attitude and an impressive season record of 42-2, while also being the district and league champ. 

Sophomore Koen Huepenbecker and junior Reece Brant have also had a major impact on the team this season. Huepenbecker has found a lot of success this season with a 40-6 record and also winning districts and league.

Huepenbecker said, “One of the key factors to my success is the way I’m pushed by my coaches and the way they push me to do my best.”

Brant has also done well this season, as he has a total of 29 wins with only 7 losses, while taking 4th at districts. 

The Warriors are looking to build onto their success at the regional meet.