Woodhaven dance team brings home dubs

Courtney Linton

The Varsity team wins first place overall and grand champions at their final competition of the season.

Tara Gaskell, Staff Writer

The Varsity Dance team had a successful season. The team started the season at Dance Team Union, where they received a third-place award for their hip-hip routine. The second competition of the season was Dance Force Express, where their jazz routine was awarded a first-place award and their hip hop received a second-place award. The team worked hard all season to improve their routines. They proved this at their last competition of the season.

At Showcase America Unlimited International, they left with multiple awards. All three of their routines received first-place awards in their category, they received the grand champions award, the judge’s elite award, and the showcase star scoring award. Senior Captain Lauren Heard says of the team’s improvement and commitment, “I’m most proud of the team’s ability to take a more intense and advanced piece this year and learn how to adapt to the challenges within it and grow as dancers. Everyone pushed themselves to gain new skills and add a dynamic performance factor to the routine.”

The Junior Varsity Dance team had a season full of hard work and improvement. At the team’s first competition of the season, Novi Pom Invitational, they brought home a bronze award and the most improved award. The second competition of the team’s season was the Pistons Classic Competition and they were awarded a sixth place award on their pom routine.

The team worked hard all season to improve at each competition. The team’s hard work paid off! At their final competition, Spirit and Shine, the team took home a first-place trophy and a state champs ribbon. Sophomore Captain, Mirahbelle Johnson, speaks on the team’s improvement and big win “I am most proud of my team when it came down to learning the dance, cleaning them, and then performing them. They all improved so much throughout the season. It will be exciting to see their improvement throughout future years. They all put all their effort into our routines and show how much commitment they have for the team.”