10 Questions with…WTC Student Director MacKenzi Tatum

Senior MacKenzi Tatum has made an impact on Woodhaven High School over the past 3 years. She has spent her years in high school joining and creating clubs, involving herself in extracurricular activities, and working towards making a difference for the classes to come.  

You were the student director of WTC’s spring musical “Mean Girls: The Musical.” What was your favorite scene that you directed?

“My favorite scene that I directed would probably have to be the first bedroom scene with Regina George, her mom, and the rest of the plastics. Because Aiden, who plays Mama George, is such a fun character to work with. Even in play practice he always fully commits to his character and it makes the production smoother and more enjoyable.”

How did you know you’d be a good fit as director for the play?

“I was a little unsure about becoming the director but it was always something I thought about. I’ve always been an actor so I was kind of nervous about moving behind the scenes. So once I was asked to be the assistant director for the show I thought about it more and wanted to help be a part of it.”

What are your plans after high school?

“After high school, I plan to go to Central Michigan University to study broadcast and cinematic arts, and I’m going to double minor in leadership and American sign language. I want to work towards becoming a newscaster and hopefully, I can interpret on air.”

What kind of impact do you hope to leave behind?

“I hope if people think of me after I leave I hope the things I have implemented continue to make the school a better place. When they think of the theater company and how we’re number 1 in the state right now, and it’s just an amazing aspect that I think more people should pay attention to. When they think of the Black Student Union club I started, I want them to understand how influential it is to have in our school, and it’s something that needs to be talked about more and welcomed and represented with in school because we do have a minority group that is not really noticed as much.”

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

“In 10 years I will have my job and be working on air, and hopefully I’ll be married and having a child or two, and working towards being a stay-at-home mom soon after.”

What advice would you give to anyone interested in theater?

“I would say go for it. I see a lot of people who are like, oh, should I, shouldn’t I, I don’t know. But every time they go in and they commit themselves fully to the process, we teach you so much, you can start knowing nothing and leave with a new family, a new big experience, and you’ll want to come back. Even when I started theater, it was kind of just something to do but now it’s a home for me. I can’t imagine my high school career without the theater experience because it was so influential.”

If you could, what is something you would tell your childhood self?

“I would tell my childhood self to shut up. When I was younger I had always been bubbly and outspoken but what I’ve learned is that it’s okay to shut up sometimes and not have your input said all the time. It’s okay to just sit back, relax, watch, and let things happen around you. You don’t always have to be the loudest person in the room.”

What was your favorite memory of senior year so far?

“My favorite memory of senior year was when the Woodhaven Theater Company won states because we were not supposed to go to states at all. We were all extremely proud of our play and thought it would have more of an impact, so when the judges didn’t let us advance at first it left us very discouraged. So we put our all onto the floor and gave our best performance and it was a really bittersweet moment. So once we heard we won first place we all started screaming and everything, and it was just an amazing experience to be a part of.”

If you could change one thing about your high school experience what would it be?

“Not getting involved sooner. I feel like I’ve piled a lot on in my last few years that I wish I started sooner. I’m more involved now and I feel like at first I was kind of dreading the high school experience, but now you make so many new friends. I look forward to coming to school every day because I know that I’m gonna have a great time no matter what’s going on that day. The things that I’m involved in have really made my high school experience special.”

Who has impacted your life the most?

“I don’t think an individual person helped me. I feel like each person has impacted me in a certain way to where I can say that I’m proud to be the young woman I am today. Whether it’s teachers or siblings or parents, and even my friends have really helped me come out of my shell and have helped me learn some of the morals and values I have today.”