The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

Polls

Is Your Vehicle Reliable?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

CyberPatriots break into new competition season

Alessandro Felici
Students Jacob Diry, Ahmed Virk, and Lorenzo Gaglio practice for an upcoming competition.

The Woodhaven High School CyberPatriots team has expanded from four boys to a diverse group of 17 students this school year. Because of the enlarged group, the team has split into three groups to tackle the competition. 

Competing virtually from the high school, the CyberPatriots take on a challenge that introduces students to problems in the world of cybersecurity. They are a team focused club, as the competition limits groups to five students and each student must absorb as much information as possible to compete well. The challenge tests CyberPatriot’s ability to work around technological problems and their knowledge of general cybersecurity.

On October 20th they had their first competition. After each competition, the team regroups as a whole to help each other improve. They review their performance and communicate with each other in order to comprehend what they were challenged with in competition. 

One of my favorite things about the club is the people; everyone is super supportive and willing to help each other. To me, it’s an excellent opportunity to learn more about cybersecurity in a fun and positive environment,” says CyberPatriot Samarah Saggers.

The teams are scored on two parts, labeled image and Cisco. In the image category, students must root out issues in the operating systems of Linux and Windows to uncover a picture.  

In the second part, the team must answer questions focused on networking. Additionally, they are given a network with issues in which the group must identify each error and apply a solution. At their first competition, the three groups earned a total score of 181, 171.47, and 159.12 points.

The CyberPatriots are given four hours to complete the tasks given in a competition. Through this short time frame, the challenge develops skills necessary in growing technological fields. 

“What I enjoy about the club is that it is challenging and it provides some insight into possible careers in technology and cyber security,” says member Dalton Crain.

Their second competition in November ramped up in difficulty as all teams scored lower than the first competition, but all 3 Woodhaven teams placed gold overall, the second-highest ranking.

At their weekly meetings, they sharpen their skills with online resources and teach each other based on what they have learned from previous competitions.

Jacob Diry explains, “There’s online tests and quizzes, as well as simulations that allow me to practice my networking skills and do better at each comp.” 

They had their third competition on Friday, December 8th. Awaiting the results, the students this year celebrate their improved skills and look forward to continuing the growth of the club.