The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

Polls

Is Your Vehicle Reliable?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

10 questions with… Senior Nolan Smith

Michael Jordan

Senior Nolan Smith, showcases what it means to balance a successful academic and athletic career. He has played multiple varsity sports including football, lacrosse, track, and mainly soccer. He is captain of the soccer team and has always been one of the most contributing players on the field. His academic performance is pretty remarkable having over a 4.0 GPA and always striving for rigorous classes to fill his schedule. Smith got accepted to the University of Michigan and plans on pursuing a medical degree to become a neurosurgeon. 

How do you manage your time effectively between your athletic commitments and academic responsibilities?

Usually, I get home to take a nap to rejuvenate my mind, then I attend my sports practices to become a better athlete. After this, I return home to finish my homework which is about an hour of studying to prepare for the next day of school. Planning everything out and having a balanced schedule is key to time management 

What strategies do you use to stay focused and motivated both on the field and in the classroom?

To stay focused I usually split up my extensive homework between my practices to make sure that I get my mind in the best shape. Excelling in school has always been easy for me and I have always loved playing sports so I would say the motivation and focus come from a genuine love for the game and becoming a better version of myself 

Can you describe a typical day in your life, balancing athletics and academics?

Usually, I wake up to do my morning routine then attend school where I make sure to use my time efficiently so that I am not stressed out and have a lot on my plate. Then I will go home and usually take a nap and get a meal so I can perform on the field. Making sure that my sleep and nutrition are prioritized has been a huge factor in my success. After practice, I go home and touch upon any rigorous homework that might pose a challenge, then sleep  

How do you prioritize your various commitments, such as training, studying, and social activities?

In terms of prioritizing my various commitments, I take my family and religion seriously. So that is number one, then school is important to me, then my athletic career. Making sure to have a good balance with finding fun things to do with friends and family is also huge to succeed.

Have you encountered any challenges in balancing your athletic and academic pursuits, and how did you overcome them?

Balancing a very extensive school work schedule while playing two sports at once was one of my biggest challenges but making sure to take everything one step at a time and doing the harder things first make it easy. I love the pressure and the sense of accomplishment after completing a challenging task.

How do you maintain a healthy lifestyle while juggling the demands of sports and school?

Juggling the demands of sports and school can be very stressful but making sure I am organized and disciplined makes it easy. Having extensive practices and games with AP courses can be very overwhelming but just taking everything for what it is and having a balance between work and life does the trick. 

In what ways do your athletic experiences positively impact your academic performance, and vice versa?

Academic success and athletic experiences have their connections whether that be with the way a coach has coached me or just the drive and lessons learned from the sports. For example, when a mistake is made on the field, it is corrected right away and a solution is given, just like for say in math class when you don’t understand a problem or it is challenging you figure it out and find the right answer. Many traits such as being hard-working, having discipline, teamwork, and accountability are all things that can be used from the athletic side to positively affect the academic side.

Do you have any rituals or routines that help you stay mentally and physically prepared for competitions and exams alike?

Before games or big exams, I usually like to get a power nap so that I am energized and brain-sharp for anything. As far as games go, I like to stretch and listen to music to get my head in the right space. Taking a big stressful test can be overwhelming so I like to make sure I am fully prepared and study before going into a test. If a test is in the morning at school, sleep is prioritized because I feel that my sleep heavily affects my brain sharpness

How do you handle setbacks or disappointments in either your athletic or academic endeavors?

Handling setbacks or challenges is a part of anything that you will go through with life. Making sure to not let the setback kill your mindset and look for ways to fix the problem has always turned out just fine. Identifying the challenge or setback and why it happened has to be the most important because without figuring out why something happened or how it happened, no solution will be found. Injuries are a big setback and can kill all your motivation to perform, whether that be on the field or in the gym. Keeping a positive attitude and working to get better is what I do to overcome these setbacks and challenges.

What advice would you give to other high school students looking to excel in both sports and academics?

Some advice that I would give to other high school students looking to pursue a good academic and athletic career is to make sure you are organized. That single-handedly has to be the biggest factor, making sure you are managing your time and you are not overworking will lead to success. Also, live your life outside of school and sports, go have fun, experience things, and make sure to have a good balance between the two.