The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

Polls

Is Your Vehicle Reliable?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The role of food choices and healthy eating for teenagers

canva

As teenagers’ we undergo a pivotal stage of growth and development, it becomes vital for us to maintain a healthy diet and choose the correct type of nutrition. Unfortunately, with academic pursuits, extracurricular activities, and other personal relationships, we often ignore the significance of eating choices. Let’s learn more about food choices and their effects.

During adolescence, the body undergoes significant development, which means that the habits formed during this period often have long-lasting effects. The decisions we make regarding our eating choices can have a profound impact on our lives. Thus eating a healthy and controlled diet is very important for us. 

Eating healthy is crucial, as food not only fuels our bodies but also profoundly influences our overall well-being, academic performance, and long-term health. For high school students, many factors and situations dictate food choices, such as busy schedules and extracurricular activities. In this situation, we often opt for fast food and sugary snacks to fulfill our cravings without even thinking about the consequences and effects of that on our health. 

As teenagers, we consume a large amount of soda, which contains solid fats and added sugars. Diets high in sugar, saturated fat, and processed foods can contribute to poor concentration, fatigue, and mood swings affecting us in many ways.

The most visible impact of food choices is on our physical health. As we are in our growth age, we need a balanced diet rich in fruits, proteins, and whole grains. A diet lacking in essential nutrients can lead to health issues such as obesity, diabetes, and many other diseases. Following the MyPlate recommendations can help to maintain a balanced nutritional diet. MyPlate is a nutrition guide by the United States Department of Agriculture that provides people with recommendations based on Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 

Apart from physical health, nutrition also impacts academic performance. Students who tend to eat a nutritious breakfast tend to have better concentration, memory, and other skills. Healthy eating habits help maintain energy levels, preventing laziness and other diseases. 

Food choices can also influence our social interactions and behavior. For example, excessive consumption of caffeine from sodas and energy drinks can lead to increased anxiety affecting our mood and thus our relationships. So we should give careful consideration before eating or drinking anything.

Learning to make healthy food choices now can set the foundation for a lifetime of good health. By making informed decisions and developing healthy eating habits, students can not only excel in school but also establish a foundation for their successful future. To learn more about nutrition and health, join the Food and Wellness class by Mrs Frost in WHS or visit the USDA website