The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

Polls

Is Your Vehicle Reliable?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Goon Squad shines at FIRST Worlds

The Goon Squad robotics team emerged from the FIRST Worlds Championship with their heads held high. Despite tough competition, they placed 12 out of 75 teams on the Galileo field. They were picked for the 5th alliance and went 2-2 in playoffs, shining brightly on the global stage. Now, the students will fill in their incredible journey at the championship and explore the highlights of their remarkable season finale.

Andrew Ferguson, a first-year strategist, says, “It was really fun as the venue was super big, and there was a lot there such as the food trucks, the FLL rooms, and the entire outside area was very nice (despite being hot).

Ferguson soaked in many of the grand hotspots in Houston, exploring all that the event provided. Houston could not compare to their previous district and regional events, as it hosts multiple venues and competitions within FIRST, so no one was dissatisfied. 

Another student from team 3604, Mark Zhang, a strategist member, caught sight of some of the high-tech craftsmanship created by some of the most intelligent people on the planet. The event was so massive however there was not even enough time to see it all. Luckily he’ll have a couple years left to come back again. 

Zhang says, “It was awesome, I got to see R2D2, I wished that I could have seen Mark Rober and the Hall of Fame and how they were announced.”

The pits for each team’s robot had anything and everything to witness. From pins to creative technological designs, news reporters interviewing teams overseas, countless languages and accents to learn, and more. 

Annie Matzo, the captain of the team, says, “It was really exciting, I got to talk to and strategize with teams from all over the world. Interacting with people who have had so many different experiences is interesting. I wish I could explore the career and college fair more to take advantage of that opportunity.”

Behind all of the sightseeing and the myriad of tech and food to explore. The Goon Squad didn’t just get there from Winning Impact at States, they had a high-powered machine that controlled their notes to perfection, accurate autonomous modes, and intrigue module designs. Their robot, Gordon Ramsey, would not function without each sub-team working tirelessly to keep their team with the greatest gracious advantage, all while filling themselves with enthusiasm and jubilation.

Ferguson says “Our team is surprisingly well rounded, having an amazing business team as well as a great looking and elite performing robot. We are very enthusiastic and gracious. When strategizing we like to lead the discussion and add humor when we can. We are very loud in the stands and our robot is very competitive.”

Their team set is like no other team, pushing limits and becoming a beacon of joy and hope for all.

Broderick Justian, one of their lead Impact presenters, says “Our team is set apart by our fantastic examples of welcoming nature. We cheer for everybody, we assist any teams that need help in the pits, we have an open door policy, we create multiple events to assist these other teams.”

One of the main contributors to this team, Matzo, this year’s Dean List nominee, gave everything she got from CADDing the robot and teaching rookie members, to competing to be one of the best operators in all of FIRST.

Matzo says, “I am the captain of the team so I was able to organize the team so that deadlines were met as well as ensure that rookie students gain the knowledge they need to succeed in the future of the team. I help solve mechanical roadblocks, cleanly wire the robot, and edit business writings.”

A sub-lead took on one of the hardest tasks which was presenting the Impact Award, which is the most prestigious award in all of FIRST.

As Samantha Manning says, “My role as an impact presenter helped our team advance to states and then worlds, not to mention we created Goon Squad history by winning impact at states.”

Another Lead sub-member, Alex Felici, took great pride in his efforts in making the shooter design the robot; working tirelessly on the bot through showing up early and leaving late at night.

Senior Felici says, “My role on the shooter subsystem was to make sure the shooter was built on time and would stay functioning throughout the season.”

Many mentors contributed to the team’s overall success, aiding the kids with knowledge, guidance, and laughter. 

As Cassidy Overholt, the safety captain, says, “I think Rhi helped me the most because she took me to the store each time to get stuff for safety kits and with those kits, I won safety all-star at Woodhaven, this is why she stuck out.”

Manning highlights another mentor who helped her with her dream college, ensuring that their students from FRC are successful after they graduate.

Manning says, “Brandon Queen was definitely a huge contributor to my success. He helped build my confidence in presenting and writing, he even took time out of his busy day to help me create a resume for a STEM program at UofM.

Being a part of the robotics team has honed their engineering skills and significantly increased their future aspirations. 

As coder and scout member Rheanna Bonot says, “It made me realize that there are people out there that are actually interested in pursuing a STEM career as well and I can collaborate with people that have that interest.”

Not only has the team made her realize where she belongs, but she showcases women are chasing STEM careers; putting their all into mastering these skills. From sophisticated software, hardware, and power tools, there is no telling what the future holds for these students.

As Matzo says, “I want to be an engineer in my career, but that is a very broad statement. Robotics has helped me to find what I want to do on a smaller scale as well as what I am good at.”

Ultimately this team has dominated every aspect of what it means to be in FIRST. They are proud of who they are and what they have accomplished. More importantly, they have retained the knowledge and wisdom to invite others and convince them what FIRST may do to you.

As Overhault says, “Try and if you fail, good, try again no matter how stressful it gets.”

Drew Mazur, a scout member, contributes to this idea and says, “Go for it, you never know how it will turn out unless you try it, and try your best.”