Woodhaven Warriors Basketball Comeback Season

Joseph Clinton, Sport Journalist

The Woodhaven Warriors varsity basketball team wants to make a statement this year after last year’s disappointing season. The Warriors were 16-6 overall and 15-2 in their division. The team made it to districts but their season was cut short by the Trenton Trojans. It was a great game, but the Trojans sent the Warriors packing with a final score of 65-60. Even though the season did not end well, the Warriors have a great opportunity this season because of how young their team is. The team consisted of 5 seniors, 5 juniors, 8 sophomores, and 3 freshmen.

Despite the youth of this team, they understand that they need to step up as one unit in order to succeed this season. Senior Joey Henager said, “I think we did a lot better than people were expecting a lot of people were saying around the league that we weren’t going to be good, and that it was going to be a rebuilding year and that we were too young to make an impact.” Clearly, they were wrong and the Warriors stood tall and fought hard. Henegar added they hung with a state-ranked Saline team, stood up to Brother Rice, and should have beaten a good Redford Thurston team. Many players realized they did reach their full potential. Senior Jamar Scott added, “We didn’t perform as well as we should have and we should have gotten further than we did, but we will bounce back and do better this year.”

All the players are very excited about this upcoming season and have very high hopes for their team. Junior Cornell Perry had this to say “I have very high expectations for this season with a whole bunch of young guys coming back and we are all hungry and ready to get after it after a disappointing season last year.” 

Even Woodhavens principal Mr. Czajkowski is excited about this season and thinks that the Varsity head coach, Coach Scheffler will do very well this season and get that title. All of the players seem to love coach Scheffler and think he is the kind of coach that is very serious at times but also can be funny and make everyone laugh. Coach Scheffler even said it about himself, “ I see myself in between, I like to have the kids enjoy coming to practice every day, but at the same time there has  to be discipline in practice and games so I see myself in between strict and laid back.”

With the players and the coaches wanting to go far this season, it should be another very hard-fought but overall successful season. The Woodhaven Warriors are coming to play hardball this season, and the rest of the state should watch out because they’re hungry and they’re coming.