On Friday, March 28th, a devastating earthquake led to mass fatalities and injuries among citizens “after the country’s worst earthquake in a century flattened entire neighbourhoods and tore through temples, bridges and highways,” according to The Guardian. Myanmar, Asia is left in shock after losing over 3,000 citizens following the 7.7 magnitude quake.
Since Myanmar is located between the India and Eurasia plates, it is held at a higher risk of earthquakes. The Plates began rubbing sideways against each other, which led to this massive earthquake, devastating families across the country.
AP News states, “Myanmar earthquake death toll rises to 3,145 as more bodies found” and that “4,589 people were injured and 221 others were missing.” Additionally, The New York Times writes that “Modeling by the U.S.G.S. estimated that the number of deaths was likely to surpass 10,000.” Due to Myanmar’s military government facing a lot of censorship, they are largely isolated from the rest of the world, which makes it harder to get updated and accurate information as to how many fatalities and injuries have actually occurred.
In the past, their military government avoided asking for help from other countries, but after declaring a state of emergency in six regions, they had no other choice. According to the ministry, China has sent over 30 rescue teams with more than 600 personnel, and the Chinese Red Cross has also provided over $200,000 to help with the aftermath of the quakes.
Due to the Trump administration’s decision to slash foreign aid, the rescue window period had already passed by the time they reached out. While the US has typically been one of the first to offer assistance during other world tragedies, Russia, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Thailand all sent assistance before the US made an effort to help. Most of the time, US teams are the biggest of all foreign assistance groups to offer help during these catastrophic events.
Reuters writes, “Extreme heat and heavy rain in Myanmar could cause disease outbreaks among earthquake survivors camping in the open, global aid bodies warned on Thursday, complicating rescue efforts made difficult by a civil war.” Myanmar was already struggling to deal with four years of civil war leading up to the earthquakes, so they were already in a state of disarray. With about half of their healthcare facilities now being damaged, diseases such as cholera are a rising risk among citizens.
Since said hospitals were already overflowing with people, and now damaged, makeshift tents were set up to assist additional injured individuals. The World Health Organization states, “In these tents, patients with fractures, wounds, and shock are being stabilized. They are functioning as mobile health clinics—delivering care where there are no longer walls,” said a WHO emergency team member on-site in Mandalay.” Many of the remaining are left without food, water, and shelter.
With all of the chaos in Myanmar right now, rescuers are still searching for the remaining missing people trapped in all of the rubble. With the ongoing search efforts, they are utilizing all of the assistance available to them at this time.