The Transition to Teaching Remotely

Madison Hittinger, News & Opinions Journalist

One of the biggest changes Woodhaven High School has had since the Covid-19 pandemic is the drastic increase in the number of students doing remote learning. Sixteen of Woodhaven’s teachers are now required to teach both in-person as well as virtually. The sudden switch to remote classes has been difficult for everyone schoolwide, but teachers are by far the most affected. Especially those of them that teach interaction-based classes such as gym or theatre. They have gone their entire career teaching classes in a way where students could move around and interact with one another. Now, they are confined to a zoom call.

I went to Woodhaven High Schools’ very own theatre director, Mr. Clemmons, to get insight on how the shift to virtual classes has affected him and his teaching. This has been his first time teaching a class online. When asked what obstacles he has faced in regards to the transition to remote, he responded by saying, “The hardest part is adapting theatre to an online platform. In a normal world, so much of the class is active, interactive, and performance-based. It is a very different experience.” Other teachers at WHS responded in similar ways, the general consensus being that switching to remote forced these teachers to change their teaching style almost entirely. Although, one of the benefits that were brought up when interviewing Woodhavens’ teachers was that some of them felt that it benefited students who had a hard time sitting in class for a long period of time. One teacher also stated that she felt students were more comfortable speaking up in class because remote is a more casual setting.

Despite the constant changes and uncertainties, these Woodhaven educators, as well as many others, are adapting what they can and making the most of these difficult times.