Joe Biden’s 100 Day Plan

Kate Wagatha, News & Opinions Editor

It’s no secret that the United States has recently been appointed a new president. However, as some of you may not be aware, he became the chief executive with the most public service experience in US history. Biden previously served two terms as vice president to Barack Obama, and also holds 36 years of Senate experience. On January 20, Biden became our 46th president of the United States, as well as breaking the record for our oldest president in history.

On Inauguration Day Biden stated, “A once in a century virus that silently stalks the country has taken as many lives in one year as America lost in all of WWII. Millions of jobs have been lost, hundreds of thousands of businesses closed, and a cry for racial justice some four hundred years in the making moves us.”` Biden’s campaign focused heavily on releasing dozens of plans ranging from economic and environmental actions on racial justice, education, and health care. Biden also plans to reverse or update plans set by the Trump administration on immigration and foreign policy. Above all, Biden plans to create strategies that will address the pandemic, as well as searching for a vaccine. 

Only a few short days after becoming president, Biden announced a team of advisors to assist him in his pandemic relief plan. The team will be led by Dr. David Kessler, who served as a former Food and Drug Administration commissioner. He will work alongside former Surgeon General Vivek Murthy and Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith, who is an associate professor of medicine and epidemiology at Yale School of Medicine. “The advisory board will help shape my approach to managing the surge in reported infections; ensuring vaccines are safe, effective, and distributed efficiently, equitably, and free; and protecting at-risk populations,” Biden stated.

Biden also promises to work on a new coronavirus aid package, working with state governors, mayors, and other local politicians. He proposed a COVID-19 response plan, which will expand coronavirus testing resources and increase the country’s capacity to make personal protective equipment, doing so by leveraging the Defense Production Act. Biden also supported legislation that would make a separate COVID-19 Racial and Ethnic Disparities Task Force, which Vice President-elect Kamala Harris proposed in the spring. A part of this COVID-19 relief package would cancel at least $10,000 in student loan debt for all Americans.

Biden has started working on “an effective distribution plan” for a potential vaccine to combat the COVID-19 virus. This plan would spend $25 billion on the production and distribution of the vaccine and calls for the vaccine to eventually be free for all Americans. Biden expressed concerns over the Trump administration and their promises to provide a vaccine quickly. Trump had said the vaccine would be ready for distribution by the end of 2020, but vaccines are still very hard to come by leading into 2021.

Trump had hinted at firing Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government’s top infectious disease expert, had Trump been reelected. Biden plans to mend the U.S. relationship with the World Health Organization (WHO), which Trump had pulled out of over the summer. Biden intends to “immediately” ask Fauci to stay in his post as director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, a title he’s held since 1984.

With Biden only having 5 days of the presidency under his belt, there is no question that he’s been working tirelessly to sign orders he believes will be most effective. As we continue to work towards a safer country, Joe Biden has begun implementing orders to combat the COVID-19 virus. Of course, this is just the beginning of Biden’s 100-day plan, and we will see what new orders he will release in collaboration with his efforts to get the United States back under control. In these unprecedented times, hopefully, these orders will be a step in the right direction to return to a safe state of living.