The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

Polls

Is Your Vehicle Reliable?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Uniting youth through Muslim Interscholastic Tournament (MIST)

To promote unity and show excellence among Muslim youth, the annual Muslim Interscholastic Tournament took place over the weekend at Wayne State University with Students from across Michigan. MIST is a program designed for high school students to compete in various competitions. It is a good opportunity for students to display their talents, network with others, and be part of a vibrant community. Winning is not only the objective, the tournament also aims to help students learn, grow, and establish meaningful connections. 

Junior Usyad Pathan shared his thoughts on MIST, stating, “I have always wanted to meet new people and learn new things, and MIST was the perfect thing for that.”

The theme for this year’s MIST event was “The Treasure of Fellowship: From Fragrance to Fortress.” It beautifully highlighted the significance of building meaningful relationships and fostering valuable ideas.

MIST offers a variety of competitions with five different categories such as knowledge and Quran, Arts, Writing and oratory, bracket competition, and group projects. In addition, workshops are also a key component in providing valuable learning experiences on topics ranging from personal development to social justice issues. It also has sports and games like basketball, chess, FIFA, and many more for students to get engaged and develop skills. 

Several schools in Michigan, including WHS, participated in MIST through the Muslim Student Association Club (MSA). This year, around ten students from WHS participated in the tournament. MSA co-president Aahil Shahid expressed his spirit for the Improv event, saying, “It’s fun acting and just the way we interact as a team while doing it.” 

When asked about a piece of advice senior Usman Chaudhry says, “Try to have as many people participate as possible, and try to lower the price of admissions.”

Beyond the competitions, MIST also offered workshops and seminars aimed at personal development and community service, reinforcing the values of empathy and cooperation among the youth. Usman Chaudhry says, “It made me more knowledgeable in Islam and allowed me to get closer to my friends and fellow Muslims.” This event was not only a competition but also a celebration of cultural richness and shared values and diversity. 

Events like MIST are incredibly valuable for today’s youth, as they provide opportunities for connections and empowerment. MIST provides its participants with fun, educational, and interactive competitions and workshops, making it a great choice for students. By participating in MIST, students will meet other students from across Michigan and develop essential skills, all while gaining a deeper understanding of Islam and Muslims.

To participate in it you have to register first and pay an enrollment deposit before a specific deadline. This year’s enrollment deposit costs about $45 for each person. To learn more about MIST, you can visit mistdetroit.com.