The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

The Purple Pulse

Polls

Is Your Vehicle Reliable?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Woodhaven High School may enter the 2024-2025 school year without theater classes

Michael Clemons
The Woodhaven Theater Company sits together before a performance of their fall show, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”
Due to low enrollment, theater classes at WHS are at risk of being cut for the 2024-2025 school year.

The electives affected by this decision would be Stagecraft, Intro to Theatre, Acting, and Play Production, but WTC director and theater teacher, Mr. Clemons has confirmed this does not have to be WHS’ reality—there is still time for enrollment to increase, people just need to know to enroll.

The theater has become a foundational performing arts extracurricular activity at the high school, with a successful theater program—WTC—that performs two shows yearly and an awarded ITS troupe. Both of these rely on the performing arts experience gained from the classes.

Clemons stated, “The WTC is a perennial powerhouse at competitions and highly respected for outstanding productions and superb conduct. We are the best, on and off stage,” relating that strength back to the classes.

Eliminating the electives would not only jeopardize the success of WHS’ theater programs but also the high school experience for the performing arts students.

In explaining the WTC’s role at WHS, Clemons said “Theater is a place where all students from different backgrounds, personalities, interests, and talents can come together to work together.” 

Theater classes are a defining part of the WHS theater experience, so students are not taking this prospect lightly.

To encourage students to enroll in entry level classes, students launched a social media campaign on Instagram: students who have been a part of the theater program share their positive experiences to highlight the benefit of their involvement.

Junior Noah Baron described theater as an outlet for creativity and community, stating “[theater] is so much more than standing on a stage and reading off of a script, it’s all about bringing that script to life and having a blast with the people around you.”

A common theme across all of the students’ statements was the welcoming community present in the program. As put by junior Malia King, “[I] didn’t think I would enjoy it, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Everyone was so welcoming and nice, I’ve met some of my best friends through theater.”

Their appeals also spoke to those not interested in the performance aspect of theater.

Junior Aliya DeJesus made the point that the classes are not limited to building acting skills, adding that students enrolled get to participate in engaging activities and fun games.

Clemons shares in the students’ sentiments, elaborating that the classes are not geared towards students only seeking a future in performing arts. Their true purpose is to provide all students with a skill set that will support them throughout life: Clemons established that “We aren’t training for Broadway, we are training for life!”

He further elaborated that “Leadership, problem solving, creativity, adaptability, and collaboration are fundamental skills needed for success beyond high school.”

Students are still able to join any of the theater classes by talking to their counselor to adjust their schedule for next year.